While visiting Santa Fe and dining at one of my favorite eateries, Rasa Juice Bar, I discovered these amazing raw cinnamon rolls that were not only delicious but also the perfect fuel before my long runs in the foothills and mountains.
I fell in love with these cinnamon rolls and made it a priority to re-create them on my own so that I could enjoy them anytime! Through a few trials I finally found the perfect mix. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Raw Cinnamon Rolls
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup flax meal
- 3 Tbs agave Filling
- 7-8 pitted dates
- 1 ½ Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt Topping
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vailla
- Remove pits from dates and soak in water while you prepare the base.
- Add almonds, pecans & flax meal to a processor and process until it becomes a fine crumble.
- Add agave and continue to process (you may need to scrape down the sides once or twice) until you have a moist dough-like consistency (it will still be crumbly).
- Place the mixture onto a sheet of wax paper, cover with another sheet of wax paper, and use a rolling pin to flatten into a 9×9 square or similar. Place the base into the fridge while you prepare the filling.
- Drain the dates and add them to the food processor with the remaining filling ingredients. Process for 3-5 minutes until a smooth paste is formed, stopping to scrape down sides if necessary.
- Remove the base layer from the fridge and remove the top layer of wax paper. Spread the date paste evenly onto the base, and then use the bottom layer of wax paper to gently roll the layers from end to end. Place the roll in the fridge to set for about an hour.
- Once set, remove the roll and cut into slices of desired width.
- To make the topping, mix almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla and microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir well until syrupy, and then drizzle onto cinnamon roll slices.
- Store rolls in the fridge.